Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Heat. . .The Horrible, Unbearable Heat!



I love my Texas (even though I was born in Detroit and raised in Arkansas. . . don't say it. I know.)

Texas is my home of 25 years.  I adore Dallas, and this great state, as much as any 1800s pioneer.  Texas is big sky, flat land, hot summers (which I cannot bear), incredible shopping, great food, wonderful culture, lifelong friends, and soothing, comforting, southern life -- a lovely life both personal and professional.

Texas is incomparable.  It is difficult to explain it to those who haven't lived here. They wonder why we're so proud.  Texas is honorable.  It is reliable.  And sturdy.  Texas is unique and distinct. Texas is a whole lot of dichotomies rolled into a big, happy family.  But I've got to tell ya, the summer heat is truly horrible.  I think the only reason people live through it is because of all of the other great things.

Seriously, I don't know how the 1800s pioneers did it.  I would have curled up in the fetal position and told them to leave me on the side of the trail.  It gets too dang hot for livin'!

I have to tell you -- when the hot weather breaks I immediately become a new woman. Life is good again. Life is bearable!  All of a sudden, without any kind of encouragement,  I am running around getting all kinds of productive things done, and I'm ready for more!  I can't call it "Fall," but I can call it a "relief!"

This late summer weather is such a wonderful relief!  Thank You Texas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment