Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Girls

We love our 4 dogs!  Joel (my incredibly fit and intense husband) enjoys telling them they're fleabitten, good-for-nothing mongrels -- but we know better.  We love them like children, now that my daughter is 23 and engaged.

As much as it pains my neurotic tendencies to say it, Peaches and Angel are our "inside" dogs. 

Peaches:

 













And Angel:


Angel is 65 lbs. and an AKC-licensed Golden Retriever (we call her the blue-blood) and Peaches is 35 lbs. and some combination of Mutt, Golden Retriever, and get this--Great Pyrenees (which are huge sled dogs...I think).


I won't get into ALL the details, but Joel got Peaches from the SPCA right after his divorce from his first wife.  He was bruised and battered, went to the dog pound to find a new best friend and saw her "goofy smile."  He was overwhelmed with love and brought her home.  Within a couple of days she was diagnosed with a possibly-terminal illness and he had to hand-feed her baby food at the vet for a few weeks before she was healthy again.  Thus formed a permanent bond between ornery man and lovely dog.


Right before we were engaged I adopted 2 puppies, but this is a story of my stupidity for another time.


A few years ago my ex-husband got a pure-bred Golden Retriever from a breeder.  She was a wonderful dog who loved (to the point of neediness) people and had talents that endeared her to all who met her: she loves retrieving balls, can go for a walk without a leash, obeys all basic commands, shakes hands, sits up, will 'stay,' and who knows what else she knows!


His family loved her (Angel) and she is the perfect family dog. . .except for one thing. . .if you have a problem with dog hair all over the place.  Because, as we all know, most dogs shed.  And if you love a clean house, a shedding dog ruins all of your best-laid plans.


So Angel was spending most of her time outside.  And they had bought a non-shedding Meesh-a-poodle, or Pom-a-poodle, or whatever who was inside all of the time.  Poor Angel ran from window to door begging to be let in so she could love her family while she saw that other dog inside all of the time.  I was heartbroken.


During Thanksgiving a couple of years ago I offered to babysit Angel while my ex-husband's family was out of town.  It was love at first nuzzle.  Angel became my companion and confidant during my days working-at-home and home-working.  Her sweet disposition and love won me over within hours. And I didn't mind lots of dog hair.  (Remember, I also had Peaches, who is a prolific shedder.  My rugs and furniture and black clothing are covered in blonde dog hair.  We carry lint-rollers everywhere, because we are always covered in blonde hair (including my own)).


So I offered to adopt Angel. . .and my ex-husband's family was thrilled to give her a new home. 


Thus began our lives as owners of 4 dogs.  But lest you misunderstand. . . we are not huge dog lovers.  We own 4 dogs because of my stupidity and weak heart.  I can't say no to a dog in need.  Thank goodness no one else has asked us to watch their dog, or the only thing keeping me from being the "crazy dog woman" would be the city ordinance against owning a gazillion pets!


Next time -- why I own 2 unruly brother dogs, aka "the outsiders."










1 comment:

  1. more stories about the dogs please. and don't ignore those boy dogs!

    ReplyDelete